Thursday, October 26, 2006

A mixture of neutrals + disappointment with topshop shang + outfit

A couple of days ago, shopcrazy’s cherry the manic shopper wrote an article about throwing neutral colors together in an ensemble. Basically she talked about mixing shades of brown with black (as well as navy & black for that matter). Thing is, I found it quite surprising that this is becoming the rage just now. I’ve actually been doing it for years! Well, it’s about time that manila fashionistas step out of the box that’s been created by some kolehiyalas from the early 80’s. hehehe!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
photo from shopcrazy.com.ph


I’ve always loved how the color brown looked against my skin and so that has always been a staple in my outfits since I was like, 13 years old (talk about being a nene, hehe). Also I never saw anything wrong mixing them with black. Another one of my favorite moves is mixing a light shade of brown with dark brown. I think the combination looks so rich! (that is, when done correctly of course) Look at this dress worn by Rachel bilson for example:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Doesn’t it look pretty?

I just really love the color brown I guess. Well, gucci and lv monogram made me fall in love with it even more! *wink* Plus, seeing those french girls mix all sorts of dull colors in Paris really gave me a lot of ideas on how to do it through the years. (calling my high school girls, its about time we go back to europe! I miss watching them french girls. hehe!)

Here are a couple more ideas care from our pretty “it” gals:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
lindsay lohan, hilary duff, jessica alba, and kate moss



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
nicole richie, mk olsen, sienna miller, and mk olsen


So, being a ‘pioneer’ *ahem ahem* of this trend in manila, I am encouraging you gals to give it a try! hahaha! Other interesting combos would be gray and brown, as well as dark plum with navy blue. Like I say, if ya can’t go to europe, why don’tcha bring europe here? Hehe.

Warning: those who are scared of mixing brown with black (or any other color for that matter) for fear of committing a fashion faux pas, end up looking like this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
no, I don’t hate jessica simpson, I actually do love her! it’s just that I came across too many of these chocolate wardrobe crimes as I was looking for pics for the collage above.


Not a pretty sight isn’t it? The key is to work well with particular shades and to balance the outfit together. If it doesn’t feel right, ditch it! There are no rigid rules in fashion, but if it feels terribly wrong then it probably is!

Moving on, as I have posted earlier on, I went to shangri-la mall to check on the newly renovated topshop branch which ended up as a major disappointment since the place did not change at all except for its whiter walls.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
sorry for the blurry pic, it was taken with my crappy phone as I didn’t want to look like a tourist. hahaha!

And here I thought the place would end up looking quirkier, or more “english”, or at the very least a wee bit more spacious! But no, no, no. *sigh* I guess topshop moa and powerplant still remain my favorite branches. I wonder when the day will be that we'd get to see topshop stores that look a little bit like the ones in Europe.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I guess not in a while huh?

To end this post is my outfit yesterday as I left for the mall:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
black vest top from topshop, brown houndstooth pleated shorts from forever 21, faux croc gladiator belt from h&m, wooden ocelot bangle from baublesbangles&beads, brown leather pointed flats from steve madden, speedy 25 lv monogram bag by louis vuitton. also not seen in picture are my enamel brooch and anchor shaped brass earrings from topshop.


But of course it’s a mixture of neutrals! *natch*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love navy/black & earth tones/black combo too. though i won't call myself a "fashionista" at that sense as i tend to dress differently from the norm.

10:50 PM  
Blogger CC said...

oooh! hi fellow neutral mixer! fashionista (at least for me) is a term which means you have a fashion-oriented way of life. So as long as you love to put together your own form of fashion and know that you look great then you are one too! One who only only follows norms and trends is more of a fashion victim. *wink*

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home