Saturday, November 11, 2006

Audrey Hepburn tribute + Imelda Marcos accessories line

School has started barely a week and it's driving me crazy already! Geez. I really want a year-long break. *pout* I don't even have time to read the local newspaper on mornings since I typically am in a panic the moment I bolt out of my room.

Yesterday though was an exception. I woke up at effing 6 am as our opthalmology class is at 7 am (with a lock-door policy) and there is a quiz every meeting. All latecomers get a lovely score of zero. So lo and behold, little miss late was quicker than usual and I was able to grab all the lifestyle and fashion pages of the inquirer (owned by bf's tita tessa) before leaving the house. I could not get the whole paper as my dad will kill me, but those are my fave pages anyway. *wink*

Whilst the driver was driving (duh?) me to school, I, who supposedly was studying for optha was actually reading the newspaper because who could resist reading a page with this on the cover:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


For pete's sake, it's not only an article about Audrey Hepburn but is also talking about Imelda Marcos starting an accessories line!

Anyways, I have always been a huge Audrey fan and I think she is such a fashion icon. Who does not love audrey you ask? There are weirdest of weirdos i tell you (such as some commentors in youtube) and they probably are very yucky dressers too. hehe. I have always loved that gap ad where a footage from "Funny Face" of her dancing was used, And I found it quite surprising that some of my friends actually have not seen it! I decided to post it here as well just in case some of you haven't seen this vid.



As written in the article by Thelma San Juan (Philippine Daily Inquirer), the ad casts her ballerina figure for posterity in black tube pants and shirt. And I do agree that the image does continue to captivate today's generation of women. Now I have not seen or felt the skinnies from gap but perhaps its because gap bottoms are not always perfectly fitting on me so it hasn't sparked my curiousity. I suppose though that they are worth it for some. Anyone here who has them?

I also have received my November issue of Harper's Bazaar where Natalie Portman is wearing one of the three versions of Audrey's black dress in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Natalie and Audrey in the same black dress


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Here's my copy! haha.


The dress was designed by Givenchy and will be sold to the highest bidder on Dec. 5 at Christie's Auction House in London with an estimated fetching price of *gasp* $130,000. The proceeds of the auction will go to City Of Joy Aid, a charity organization that helps India's poor. It's just so wonderful that Audrey continues to inspire people with her fashion and humanitarian efforts. And you know what else is interesting? The dress is actually a bit loose on Natalie! I bet that makes you love Audrey all the more. haha.

Moving on, Imelda Marcos will be adding a new title to her list of "titles" as proprietor of a fashion brand.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Source: Bravo,Claudio: A Painting of Imelda Marcos


She will be be unveiling her fashion accessories line - necklaces, earrings, brooches, cuff bracelets and hair combs - called The Imelda Collection, produced by daughter Imee, perhaps in time for the holiday season. As the article said, the line is meant for "the stylish but practical woman with a penchant for owning a piece of history". Now, whilst Imelda herself has become a fashion icon of her own (did you know that the word imeldific is now made official in dictionaries?), I am not so sure whether the catch phrase really is the best one for her new product. I mean, I for one would find it more appropriate to associate "Imelda" with the words "glamorous fashion" than with the words "practical" or "history".

I mean, wouldn't you? *wink*

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

Just wanted to let you know I LOVE your blog...it makes me so homesick! I am not a Filipina, but I lived in the Philippines from ages 1-18...so all my formative years were in Manila! I left in 1996 (live in London now)...and it seems like Manila has gotten so much more stylish ...back then Megamall was IT LOL! The thing I miss the most about the Philippines is the gorgeous food - I have a Filipino grocery store here that I raid for my tamarind candy, dried mango and squash seeds...and of course Mama Sita mixes so I can make my own tapa and pancit. Anyway - just wanted to let you know I'm an avid reader of your blog - keep it up!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love love audrey hepburn! she really is a great fashion icon!

11:28 PM  
Blogger CC said...

to the first commentor: hi! you're so sweet, i was really touched by your comment! :) thank you for sharing your story because it really made my day. I have only been to london once and it is such a beautiful place albeit very different from manila so I would understand how homesick you sometimes feel. Yes, manila has gotten more stylish although we are still loads behind london! But at least uk stores are popping everywhere here: from topshop, dorothy perkins, wallis, warehouse, and debenhams. You definitely must visit soon!!! Manila misses you as well! Thanks again dear and I hope you'd leave a name or a nick next time as I would love to remember my commentors' names. heehee!

lloyda, join the club! I might get an audrey hepburn book for myself this christmas, hehehe! :)

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home